Sunday 7 August 2016

Confused Trailers: Suicide Squad

I’m not a massive fan of Hollywood comic book franchises so I’ve never had a strong desire, for example, to see the latest revamp of the Batman, Superman or Spiderman movies.

If I’ve gone to see them in the past, it’s because I’ve wanted to be a good sport and accompanied dates or friends who are really into those types of films. Truthfully, I’ve always ended up zoning out during the films, not really fully engaged. It’s been an entertaining couple of hours, but nothing life changing or something I’d watch again.

However, I caught this initial Suicide Squad trailer about a year ago:



I actually thought the movie looked interesting and was looking forward to catching it when it came out, even though I don’t usually pay attention to American superhero films.

It’s now a year later, and the film is now due to be released (it actually dropped nationwide in the UK on Friday). But I was left a little confused at the way the film had been savaged by critics...from what I saw of the trailer, it looked like a dark and interesting film with a decent back-story to it.

But with all the recent press and promotion surrounding the movie’s impending release, it was hard to miss the latest version of the trailer. Suddenly, the bad reviews made sense:




To be honest, it just looks like an excitable, neon mess. A complete assault on the senses. And it’s trying way too hard.

Trying too hard to be cool. Trying too hard to be funny (but in a dry sense). Even Margot Robbie, although very charismatic and gorgeous to look at, is trying too hard in her portrayal as the sexy-psycho.

For a start, I think the use of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" was a bad choice. The song is already considered a classic. Not to mention, it lives on in pop culture having been used in one particular iconic Wayne's World scene, which revived the song (originally released in the 70s) back in the 90s.

If a movie trailer wants to be "cool" and pack a punch, it needs to be fresh, creative and original:



Now THAT is a bad ass film.

I use Kill Bill as a comparison because of the similarities in the stories and genre: action-packed, adrenaline-fuelled fun following the antics of a bunch of anti-heroes that exist in a sort of hyper reality. Both movies would have also arrived with a ready made audience: Quentin Tarantino fans in the case of Kill Bill, and comic book superhero fans in the case of Suicide Squad.

I don't know if I'm nitpicking or if I'm just more discerning when it comes to breaking down media, but I definitely see a difference between the two trailers. One tries too hard to be cool, the other one is cool and stylish…effortlessly.

Proof of this is the way this film popularised lots of obscure songs that, to this day, are widely used in various other forms of media. The styling of certain characters as well really added to the aesthetics of the films.

I guess it just goes to show the power of editing and sequences/shot composition. I personally tend to get bored when action scenes in films drag on and get a bit ridiculous (think The Fast and the Furious franchise). But in movies like Kill Bill, every action sequence is artfully choreographed, shot, edited and set to interesting music. There's a purpose to every shot, some fast-paced while others more drawn out. But it's never muddled editing. There aren’t any "filler" scenes, just to appeal to people who like fight sequences, high-speed chases, bangs and explosions. It actually aids the storyline.

Also in the case of Kill Bill, the tone of the trailer matches the tone of the film. The snappy dialogue and upbeat music reflects parts of the films that are actually humourous. In terms of song choices, the music selected for the trailer is actually used in certain scenes in the film. This makes it seem like a much better representation of the film.

In the case of Suicide Squad I’m confused; I haven’t watched the film yet and I don’t know what to expect. Will it be a dark and eerie thriller…or will it be a fast-paced, lighthearted and silly watch?

From what I’ve heard from friends who have seen the film, they were equally as confused and disappointed at the way the film couldn’t seem to decide on a genre or tone. It seems evident that when the movie was initially shot, producers and directors had one idea and halfway though film-making, they decided to change course. The result is a confused, unfocused narrative.

It’s a bit of a let down because the film seemed to have a lot of potential. As I’ve mentioned, I’m not really a fan of this particular genre but based on the first trailer, this would have introduced me to the story…and I’m sure a lot of other people too.

Now, it’s been targeted to mainly comic book nerds and hardcore fans, or those who are into big mainstream action films. As a result, it’s alienated fans of indie/alternative cinema who may have given the film a chance.

It's a shame because the loyal comic book fans will flock to see the movie anyway and will probably love it. But it's almost like they've been duped.

Meanwhile, I’m still debating if I should watch this film or not. After being subjected to the sap-fest that was Me Before You recently, a friend of mine owes me a trip to the cinema. However, I’m leaning towards a Tarantino Kill Bill/Pulp Fiction marathon at home instead.

As the risk of sounding like an old person… movies: they just don’t make 'em like they used to. 

3 comments:

  1. "I am just a girl living a big dream in this small world; I am a fashion, beauty, & lifestyle blogger. This blog is to inspire, give suggestions, and have fun with what I share.I also want such more post here.Have a good day for all.
    Thanks
    Linda"
    clothing styles
    best birthday present
    best gift ideas for girlfriend
    cheap christmas gift ideas
    best toddler shoes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like the film, it was bit rushed, but the music in the film is great and the action scenes where really good x

    Laura
    Pink Frenzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I found the film quite rushed too but surprisingly enjoyable and a fun film to see with friends :)

      - Lubna

      Delete