Sunday 17 April 2016

Help! My Washing Machine Leaves White Streaks On My Clothes

I’m a bit of a neat/tidy/clean freak but laundry has got to be my least favourite domestic chore, not least because my wardrobe consists of a lot of black and after EVERY wash I have these annoying white streaks on my clothes.

laundry-white-marks-image
Once dried and ready to wear, I would have to get a damp sponge and pat the area to get rid of the white marks. I can’t believe I’d been dutifully just doing this for years before I finally decided to Google a remedy.

So, first things first – locate the source of the problem. Answer: surplus detergent. I decided to go easy on the washing powder with my next wash but sadly, the white streaks remained ever-present

I then came across some advice which suggested just doing an extra rinse with your wash. Unfortunately, my washing machine doesn’t have that option so once the cycle was complete, I just ran the "prewash" programme. I believe the "handwash" setting will work too if you have it.

I was pleasantly surprised that this actually worked! If you’re worried about the extra cost, you can always run the wash during off-peak hours where the energy tarrif is cheaper. Generally, these progammes only add an extra 15-20 minutes onto your wash anyway.

1 comment: