Sunday 4 June 2017

Does Expensive = Better Quality?

I’ve always been one to buy most of my stuff from the high street, be it clothing, toiletries, cosmetics, electronics or homeware. There is always the option to go a bit upmarket and shop in the more expensive stores when you're in shopping centres, but I’ve usually gone for shops that stock mid-to-low priced products, just because I haven’t seen the need to go high-end for basic everyday items.

luxury-bag-louis-vuitton-image
Image credit: FranckinJapan
In fact, I even wrote about my dissatisfaction with certain luxury brands in this post: Are Expensive Cosmetics Ruining Your Skin?

While it’s OK to treat yourself from time to time, I’ve often found that for example, when I’ve splurged on a designer handbag, purse or jacket, the higher price tag hasn’t necessarily resulted in a better quality item.

I guess you could say I don’t like wasting my money. I’m not necessarily a bargain hunter, but I will shop around to make sure I’m not spending triple the amount for something identical-yet-cheaper elsewhere. And I especially don’t like splashing the cash on something that fails to live up to its advertising promise.

However, a default attitude of always going for the cheapest option has definitely resulted in purchasing goods that aren’t the best quality. I never really noticed it until recently, but buying a similar item at a cheaper price has often meant the product just hasn’t lasted as long, and I’ve had to replace it perhaps sooner than I would have had to if I had spent more at the initial time of purchase.

With that in mind, I now seem to have gone the other way. Especially when it comes to toiletries, cosmetics and electronics.

I find cheaper drugstore toiletries just don’t cut it the way the pricier brands do. For example, recently I’ve been using the Vichy range to wash and moisturise my face. In the past, I’ve also used Eucerin. As someone who has temperamental skin, I definitely noticed an improvement in my skin within a couple of months of using these products.

When using cheaper brands like Clean & Clear, Simple, Nivea or Olay however, I’ve found they just don’t agree with my skin and I end up throwing them away almost three-quarters full, or giving them to someone who has less problematic skin than I do.

Don’t get me wrong, certain things really aren’t worth splashing out on, especially disposable items. And when it comes to clothes and accessories, expensive definitely doesn’t mean better quality.

But for certain things, I’ve personally found a difference in quality and their effectiveness as a product when I’ve paid a bit more.

What are your thoughts? Are you a dedicated bargain hunter, or a slave to the label? Let me know in the comments below 😊.

8 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this subject - it really depends on what it is you need! For skincare, I absolutely am willing to spend more. But, on a bag...not so much. It's always disappointing that more expensive doesn't mean better quality, but that's okay because I get tired of certain clothes and trends quickly anyway :)

    xx www.qustomquinns.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree that for skincare, it’s worth spending a bit more to find a product that suits your skin perfectly. Yeah it does always suck when you splash out and product doesn’t live up to your expectations, but I suppose you can only know from trying it out .

      - Lubna

      Delete
  2. I'm totally split on this topic actually - I tend to go for what works for me. I'm probably more swayed towards high street products (always for clothes) but for skincare I tend to just find whatever works for me and sometimes that's high street and sometimes it's high end!
    Amy xx
    www.callmeamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same :). I guess recently I've just found the more I spend, the better quality the product so I've been splurging a bit (oops!).

      - Lubna

      Delete
  3. I don't think I'm a bargain hunter or a slave to labels, I tend to just go with what I like and what I think works for me and what I find to be good quality. I mean for me I don't think I'll ever be someone who would spend like $2000 on a handbag for example, if I did that damn handbag would have to be phenomenal quality!

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I could probably be tempted with a Sofia Al Asfoor handbag :-D. It's good you've found a middle ground, some folks tend to go all one way or the other :-).

      - Lubna

      Delete
  4. I try to buy best quality if I can, I feel that with fashion the products are more durable and with beauty the effects are longer. Great post and such an interesting read to hear your views on the subject!
    Have a lovely weekend :)
    Rosanna x
    Rose's Rooftop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth it to spend a bit more if you're getting a better quality item.
      Thanks you too :)

      - Lubna

      Delete